What is AcrySof IQ PanOptix® Trifocal IOL?
The AcrySof IQ PanOptix® Trifocal IOL is the first and only FDA-approved trifocal lens implant. The range of vision delivered by the PanOptix trifocal lens offers a considerable reduction in a patient’s need for glasses after cataract surgery. Particularly, this lens technology allows a patient to be able to see their cell phone, computer, and golf ball without glasses.
Moreover, the technology of the PanOptix lens offers patients the broadest range of vision all in one lens compared to any other cataract lens implant in the US. The PanOptix® trifocal lens was developed using ENLIGHTEN® Optical Technology. ENLIGHTEN® Optical Technology optimizes intermediate vision without compromising the quality of near and distance vision. Additionally, the PanOptix® lens is designed to help patients who have astigmatism, as well as those who do not.
The PanOptix lens was the leading lens technology for cataract patients in more than 70 countries before it was FDA-approved. The Cleveland Eye Clinic surgeons were the first in Ohio to implant a PanOptix Trifocal IOL.
Furthermore, based on the FDA study, over 99% of patients who receive the PanOptix® lens would choose the same lens again. This level of patient satisfaction with the PanOptix® lens illustrates the value this technology has brought.
What is a Trifocal Intraocular Lens?
A trifocal intraocular lens is used to replace the natural lens of your eye during cataract surgery. The trifocal lens involves three different prescriptions in one lens, which helps you to have a clear vision for near, intermediate, and far distances. This can reduce your dependence on glasses or contacts and potentially eliminate it completely.
Is the PanOptix IOL Right for Me?
PanOptix trifocal lenses may not be right for everyone, but they could be for you if:
- You want to reduce your dependence on contacts or glasses: PanOptix cataract lenses are specifically designed to reduce the need for glasses or contacts by adjusting your eyes for better vision at near, intermediate, and far distances.
- You understand what this lens can do for you, and what it can’t: PanOptix trifocal lenses are excellent at vastly improving vision from different distances and can reduce your dependence on glasses or contacts. But it may not eliminate it completely. They may also cause side effects, like glare or halos.
- You are willing to pay a little more: Trifocal lenses are fairly recent technology and are considered advanced, making them more expensive than some other options. You may need to pay some of the out-of-pocket costs for them.
Is a Trifocal IOL Covered By Insurance?
Trifocal lenses are a generally more expensive option, and insurance companies tend not to cover elective parts of cataract surgery, like laser-assisted cataract surgery or the different types of lenses. So, if you choose to utilize a trifocal intraocular lens, you will need to pay out-of-pocket costs for part of the procedure. However, for many, the benefits of reducing dependence on glasses outweigh the costs.
What Makes the PanOptix Lens Different From Other Lenses?
PanOptix is the first trifocal lens in the United States, as well as the only one. The enhanced vision that is provided by them is unrivaled by any other type of lens. While other multifocal lenses only have sections for close-up and distance vision, the PanOptix trifocal lenses have sections that improve vision for distances that are near, far, and intermediate.
According to a clinical study, 99% of patients who use PanOptix lenses would choose the exact same lens again.
Benefits of Choosing Panoptix Lens
There are a myriad of benefits to choosing Panoptix cataract lenses, including:
- There are no blurred depths, making it easy to focus your vision
- They are high-definition and deliver more vivid colors
- They have a reduced glare
- They reduce or eliminate reliance on glasses or contacts
Cataract Surgery with Cleveland Eye Clinic
The Cleveland Eye Clinic surgeons are committed to offering the latest innovations in cataract surgery to each of our patients. Our goal is to offer our patients the best technology options, and a warm comfortable experience. The PanOptix® lens is another innovative lens option that will be an excellent option for many of our patients.